If you are not a full member of the society and have not logged in for 6 months, your registration may have been removed.. Such registrations can not be restored and you will have to sign up again if you wish to continue using the forum. Full society members are never removed.

Saturday 19 Oct 1822 - Shipping
Read 93 times
* March 21, 2023, 12:28:10 PM
 Saturday 19 Oct 1822   (p. 3, col. 4)

The brig Cumberland, of Maryport, Captain Joseph SELKIRK, timber loaded, arrived at Kirkcudbright from Miramichi, on the 7th inst., 26 days passage, all well. Also, on the same day, the brig Mary, of Whitehaven, Captain COWMAN, and Janes of Maryport, Captain JOHNSTON, both timber loaded, from Quebec. The Cumberland left the Gemini, of Maryport, and the Claremont, of Workington, at Miramichi, half laden and waiting for timber.—On the 19th ult. spoke the Alexander, of Maryport, GORLEY, in long. 32, outward bound, having lost a boy.
The Traveller, YEOWARD, from St. John's New Brunswick, arrived at Whitehaven on the 8th inst. She sailed on the 16th August; on the 19th, spoke the Henry, PETTIGREW, of Harrington, from Killibegs, with passengers, for St. John's, New Brunswick, off the Grand Manann, out 43 days, all well.—On the 12th ult. in lat. 45. 55. long. 31. 46. fell in with the ship Governor Griswald, SNOW, of New York, from Rotterdam, bound to New York, in a sinking state, having started a butt; took the captain and crew (eleven in number) out of her.
The Thomas Tyson, John PEARSON master, of Maryport, from St. Petersburg, bound to Liverpool, was dismasted on the 4th inst. and is on shore in the Isle of Sky. Capt. PEARSON died the day the vessel went on shore.
The Jemima, William WALKER master, from Mirimachi, bound to Maryport, was struck by a tremendous sea on the 5th instant, 200 miles clear of the Irish coast, and totally dismasted—boats and all other things swept off deck. Five of the crew were washed overboard and drowned; among whom were the Captain's brother, and Samuel SHAW, mate, all of Maryport. The vessel is driven on shore in Sligo Bay.
The Bold, James TURNER master, from Newry, bound to Preston, with a cargo of oats and wheat, was driven on shore near Maryport on the 10th inst. at half tide. She was got off on the 11th, and brought into the harbour; the cargo was discharged, much damaged.
On the morning of the 8th inst., a large ship came off Whitehaven, about half tide, with an American ensign at the fore-topgaliantmast-head; it was blowing so fresh that no boat would venture out to her—about half-past seven A. M. she wore, and stood for the Scotch side, and went ashore on Almorness Point.
We are sorry to understand, that the ship Mary and Henry, of Charleston, Captain Isaac SILLIMAN, from Charleston, during the severe gale of Tuesday last, was driven high up on the Almorness shore, in the district of Kirkcudbright. She is loaded with upwards of a thousand bales of cotton, and a number of cane reeds, consigned to merchants in Liverpool, for which port she was bound. Every exertion is making to discharge the cargo, under the care of the officers of the customs and preventive coast-guard, in order to get the vessel off. She is a fine large ship, 450 tons burthen, and we are glad to hear that the crew are all safe. Up to Saturday night about a third of the cargo has been got out. During the same gale, five vessels were put on shore in Kirkcudbright Bay, without, however, being much injured.—Dumfries Journal, Oct. 15.
Extract of a letter from Liverpool, dated October 10.—"The Manchester has come in. She picked up the crew of the Pomona of Conway, from Belfast to Liverpool, with wheat, when she was sinking on Monday last, 15 miles south of the Isle of Man, by which the Manchester was delayed 32 hours."
Douglas, Oct. 10.—On Sunday night last, his Majesty's cutter Vigilant, Captain REID, in attempting to get under weigh, (having been at anchor in this Bay) was ran foul of by a heavy laden sloop, which sprang the cutter's bowsprit, and lay so completely across her bows, as to prevent her shooting a head. The Vigilant, thus entangled, and beaten by a heavy sea, drifted astern until she tailed on St. Mary's Rock, where her rudder was unshipped and she became totally unmanageable. In this perilous situation, her anchors all coming home, and after every possible exertion to get her off had been made by the officers and men, it was deemed necessary, for the safety of the crew and the hull of the Vigilant, to cut away her mast; which being done, she was warped off the rock, and we are happy to add, was the following afternoon, towed into Douglas, with comparatively little or no other damage, and where it is calculated she can in a few days be put in such a state of temporary repair as will enable her with safety to proceed to some of the King's dock-yards to refit. The spars and rigging have all been saved, and her mast was so judiciously cut away, as will enable it to be set up for an excellent jury mast. The sloop Merchant, of Fraserburgh, from Dundalk, laden with oats, John THOMPSON, master, bound to Dublin, was driven on shore, on Monday night last during the gale, opposite Castle Mona. The crew saved themselves by climbing up the mast until the ebbing of the tide; but the vessel and cargo were a total wreck.—We understand that Sir William HILLARY and a few other gentlemen have been very active in extending aid to the distressed seamen of the brig Two Sisters, of Newry, James O'HAGAN, master, which came to anchor in this Bay, on Sunday night last, having endured much hardship, and lost two men off the Calf of Man. She was towed into the harbour yesterday morning. The same gentlemen have since generously forwarded a subscription by way of reward to the boatmen, who bravely ventured out in the storm.
Reproduced with kind permission of British Newspaper Archives