Date: 24-03-18  Time: 02:21 AM

Author Topic: Saturday 30 Jan 1802 - Local News  (Read 90 times)

Petra Mitchinson

  • CFHS Member
  • Genealogy Wizard
  • *
  • Posts: 4043
Saturday 30 Jan 1802 - Local News
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »
 Saturday 30 Jan 1802   (p. 2, col. 5 – p. 3, col. 1)
The season for killing partridges ends the 1st of February, and whoever has them in his possession after that day, qualified or unqualified, is liable, upon information to a Magistrate, to a penalty of 5l. for each bird.
On Tuesday afternoon a most alarming fire broke out near the Irish Gate, in this city, which raged with such fury for some time, as not only to threaten total destruction to the hay-loft in which it happened, but also to some new houses immediately adjoining, belonging to Henry POTTINGER, Esq.: through the timely attendance of the fire-engines, and the very prompt and laudable exertions of a few individuals who undertook the management of them, it was, however, fortunately got under, without occasioning much further injury than consuming a quantity of hay, which, we are sorry hear [sic], belonged to a poor labouring man.
We have seldom heard of a more daring theft than the following: --- Last Sunday forenoon, a countryman, who had come from some distance to attend divine service at Stanwix church, put up his horse at the Bird in the Bush public-house, in that village, and during the time he was absent (not having had the precaution to lock the stable door), a villain contrived to slip out the horse, which he mounted and rode off, observed, but not in the least suspected, by several people who were standing about.---A wallet, containing a quarter of mutton, &c. was also stolen from a cart in the same village the preceding evening.
On Monday last the Edenside Rangers had a field-day at Upperby, when a sham-engagement took place between the Carlisle and Wrea divisions, the novelty of which drew together an immense crowd of spectators, and the bloodless battle of Cammock Beck (which, perhaps, in some instances, approached as near to reality as most similar rencounters) has since formed the principal topic of conversation in our public house evening parties, where laurels have been variously awarded.---The Rangers performed their different military manœuvres with a promptitude and precision which would have done credit to veteran soldiers.
Married lately, at Kirklinton, Mr. John CHARLETON, to Miss Margaret HETHERINGTON. Early in the morning the bride and bridegroom, attended by a numerous party and an itinerant fiddler, forming a fine cavalcade, proceeded to the church; but they had no sooner reached holy ground, than the bridegroom learned that it was necessary to produce, before the ceremony could take place, a certificate of the publication of the banns from the Minister of his parish; and, as he had neglected to provide himself with any such writing, he was obliged to take a journey of several miles for that purpose. This circumstance would not, however, have been considered unfortunate, if the mind of his bride had not, in the interval, undergone a material alteration: in short, whether she had interpreted her lover's negligence as an unlucky omen, or some artful rival had, in his absence, insinuated himself into her affections, it was with much difficulty that the fickle fair one could be prevailed upon to accompany him to the altar. After the nuptial knot was tied, the company adjourned to the village alehouse, from whence they did not depart till the sun had three times successively risen and set upon their convivialities.
On Monday morning, the 21st inst. seven couple were married at the parish church in Preston: the ages of one of the happy pairs did not exceed thirty years; the groom being but sixteen, and the blooming bride not quite fifteen.
Robert DENT, of the city of York, miller, a person of considerable property, was last week found guilty, at the quarter sessions of that city, of stealing three dead rabbits, from the shop of a poor woman, and sentenced to be imprisoned and kept at hard labour in the House of Correction for two years.
Reproduced with kind permission of British Newspaper Archives