If you are not a full member of the society and have not logged in for 6 months, your registration may have been removed.. Such registrations can not be restored and you will have to sign up again if you wish to continue using the forum. Full society members are never removed.

Saturday 18 Jan 1823 - Cumberland Sessions
Read 34 times
* May 22, 2023, 01:14:31 PM
 Saturday 18 Jan 1823   (p. 3, col. 3-4)

The general quarter Sessions of the Peace for the County commenced at Cockermouth on Tuesday, and the public business terminated on Thursday evening. Notwithstanding the adverse weather, the Bench was a full one: among the Magistrates present, we observed the following:—Major AGLIONBY, chairman; Sir F. F. VANE, and Sir P. MUSGRAVE, Barts.; J. C. CURWEN, M. P., Henry HOWARD, Philip Hen. HOWARD, H. SENHOUSE, of Hames Hill, J. R. G. GRAHAM, W. BROWNE, J. D. B. DYKES, Thos. WYBERGH, Wm. CALVERT, Wilfrid LAWSON, Thos. HARTLEY, Richard WATTS, John CHRISTIAN, E. W. HASELL, Edw. STANLEY, John HARRISON, Thos. SCOTT, M. ATKINSON, Richard FERGUSON, and Joseph GILLBANKS, Esqrs.; Rev. W. FLETCHER, Rich. MATTHEWS, Peter HOWE, and Edward STANLEY, Clerks.
Wilfrid LAWSON, Esq., Henry HOWARD, Esq., and Philip Henry HOWARD, Esq., qualified as magistrates. Several gentlemen also qualified as Deputy Lieutenants of the County.
At these Sessions, it will be seen by an advertisement, the period for receiving tenders for building the intended New Gaol in this City, was extended to the 19th of next month.
The first day was chiefly occupied in the hearing of parish appeals, none of which presented any novelty either in fact or practice. The result was briefly as follows:—
Penrith and Wetheral.—Removal of pauper named GLAISTER. The question turned upon whether his father some years ago acquired a settlement at Penrith, by renting the King's Head public house.—Order quashed.
Scaleby and Cummersdale.—Jane NICHOLSON, the pauper, examined by Mr. AGLIONBY, deposed that while she lived at Carleton, where Wm. NICHOLSON also resided, he paid his addresses to her from Martinmas to Whitsuntide, when they set off for Gretna, and were married by Robert ELLIOT, who gave her marriage lines, which lines she afterwards gave to her mistress, who in turn gave them to Mr. HODGSON, overseer of Stanwix parish: she was only one night with NICHOLSON, and then went back to her service: he promised to marry her afterwards in England. Cross-examined, she said NICHOLSON was tipsey at the time, but knew what he was about; she had two children before marriage, and only one since; she went to a magistrate to swear the child to another man, but, to her knowledge, did not swear she was a single woman. Mr. ARMSTRONG said he would not contest the marriage, but would prove a settlement by hiring.—James NICHOLSON, father of Wm. NICHOLSON, stated that he hired his son for twelve months to John HOUGH, who lived in Grinsdale, at £7 for the year, and washing and repairing clothes: he was turned 16: his son served the year and three weeks over.—Cross-examined, witness said he farms the poor both of Grinsdale and Cummersdale. Wm. NICHOLSON also deposed that, six or seven years ago, he lived, as above-stated, with HOUGH.—Order of removal quashed.
Cockermouth and Millholm.—JACKSON, the pauper, was removed on the ground that he had gained a settlement in Millholm by apprenticeship. The other side contended that the apprenticeship was incomplete. The boy got a second master, as it appeared, by consent of the first. The Bench were of opinion that consent was given, consequently that the apprenticeship was duly served.—Order confirmed.
St. Cuthbert's (Carlisle) and Cockermouth.—St. Cuthbert's removed Henrietta MAXWELL to Cockermouth; her mother married a Scotsman. Mr. RANDLESON examined the Register of Cockermouth parish, and found there the record of the pauper's birth. Mary FRAZER said her father was a Scotsman; her sister (the pauper) was born at Cockermouth; her mother's name was Eleanor JEFFERSON, and she was a Whitehaven woman.—Mr. ARMSTRONG stated that he was unfortunately prevented from proving a settlement by servitude in consequence of a sudden death: a witness had died after arriving at Cockermouth; but he would show a derivative settlement. Elizabeth BALDRIDGE, of Whitehaven, knew Mary JEFFERSON, who lived in Whitehaven before marriage, and was married there; her father was a sailor; her mother Eleanor was left a widow. John BELL searched the Register of St. Nicholas, Whitehaven, and found as follows: Mary JEFFERSON, born 1764. Married to John MAXWELL 1785.—Order quashed unanimously.
Whitehaven and Greysouthen.—Martha GRANT and her daughter Ann, were removed by Whitehaven to Greysouthen, the birth settlement of Joseph GRANT, her husband; it was also stated by counsel, that Martha was relieved by Greysouthen for a period of a year and a half, while residing in Whitehaven, six years ago. Evidence was given to prove these facts. Mr. ARMSTRONG, however, proved Greysouthen an innocent parish, by establishing a settlement of the pauper's husband's mother in the parish of Lorton.—Order quashed.
John TWEDDLE, charged with entering the byer of Col. BEDINGFIELD, at Kirklinton-Hall, early in the morning, and milking that gentleman's cows, pleaded guilty. Six months' imprisonment in Carlisle gaol. This is the man who escaped from the officer at the time of his apprehension, and ran into the Eden.
Isabella DIXON pleaded guilty to a charge of stealing some weft, the property of Messrs. HEWSON, and was sentenced to one month's imprisonment in Carlisle gaol.
Mary BROWN, for stealing a watch from Thomas THOMLINSON, three months' imprisonment. She also pleaded guilty.
Henry DOUGHTON likewise pleaded guilty to an indictment for stealing five books out of the shop of Mr. CALLANDAR, Whitehaven. One month's imprisonment.
Jane LOWTHIAN was tried and convicted on a charge of embezzling sixpence, the property of Henry WINTER, innkeeper, Whitehaven, with whom she lived as bar maid. Two months' imprisonment.

[to be continued]

Reproduced with kind permission of British Newspaper Archives


* May 23, 2023, 10:30:38 AM
CONSPIRACY.—John LOWDEN and Sarah HARPER, were indicted for a conspiracy to extort money from A. DAWSON, residing near Bothel, under threat of charging him with  *  *  *  *. Messrs. COURTENAY and AGLIONBY conducted the prosecution. Having briefly stated the facts of the case, and made some suitable comments on the heinous nature of the offence, the following witnesses were called:—
Anthony DAWSON lives near Bothel, and has known John LOWDEN twelve months. About Christmas, 1821, he brought some sheep to winter; and in the summer a mare to grass, the cost of which was £4 4s.: witness put the mare, by prisoner's desire, to Mr. SHEFFIELD's blood horse, which increased the expence to £6 10s. Hearing that the prisoner was at Cockermouth, he took the mare thither; but not finding him, he rode her to LOWDEN's house, and got off about a quarter of a mile from it, at L.'s field (through which there was a road to the house without being hedged off) to rub the dirt off the hind legs of the animal. He let the mare eat, and performed an office of nature near her, resting his hand upon her rump. Just at this moment he observed a woman approach, who seeing witness at first drew a little back; he adjusted his garment in a hurry, as she seemed disconcerted, and cut a small stick, during which she passed by. The mare is nearly 16 hands high, and was not fastened to any thing. Witness then rode to LOWDEN's (who was not at home), where he got dinner, and left the mare, but was not paid his money; he understood that the prisoner was at Cockermouth. On the 5th of November, the prisoner sent for witness to come to him at a public-house (C. GRAHAM's) in Bothel; he went, and found GRAHAM and a person named BOUCH with him. The prisoner asked for a private room, because he said he wanted to speak with witness. When they were alone, LOWDEN stroked witness down the hat, and said, "Poor old Anthony, how I pity thee!" Witness asked, "What do you pity me for?" (Here a conversation passed which cannot be stated, but the purport of it was, that LOWDEN charged DAWSON with an unnatural crime.—He continued) "Did you not see a woman with a grey cloak?" Witness said, "Yes, she passed me without speaking." LOWDEN then said that woman would swear that she saw witness  *  *  *  *  *  * ; that she had gone before the justices; that he had slipped off to apprize him of it as a friend before he was apprehended; that the mare had been taken from him by order of a Committee, and was to be burned, and he, witness, would be hanged. But he wished to know what witness would give, if he (prisoner) would prevent the disclosure. Witness replied that he would give nothing; that he would face the woman, and then it would be seen who was guilty. Witness refused to pay any thing, and requested to know the woman's name, which prisoner declined mentioning. He said she was a single woman, and lived by herself. Witness wanted to call BOUCH and GRAHAM to which LOWDEN objected, for, said he, the business is a secret. Witness observed that it could not be a secret, as the woman had gone before the Justices; nor would he make the matter up. Prisoner then said, "No, she has not been yet: we advised with attorney JACKSON, and he recommended the matter to be made up, as it threatened dangerous consequences." He also said that JACKSON would hardly allow him to come away. BOUCH and GRAHAM were listening behind the door. BOUCH agreed to go with prisoner and witness to the woman, but LOWDEN said that she would not see any of them. At seven o'clock the next morning, witness and BOUCH went off to meet the two prisoners at LOWDEN's house. LOWDEN overtook them on horseback, and asked them to take 'a quart' at Sir Frederick VANE's new house. BOUCH went into Sir F.'s lodge to get some refreshment, and prisoner and witness went on.—Prisoner asked me, continued DAWSON, to get on his horse behind him and ride, which I did, and he wished to go on quicker, but I opposed it, and said we must not leave BOUCH. He replied, "D—n BOUCH, what matter of him, leave him.' I answered that I would not, and that if he offered to go faster, I would get off. LOWDEN then slackened his pace, and said, "It is no use to go further; I have power to settle it, and I would advise you to agree." This he repeated. In the meantime, BOUCH came up unnoticed, and said, "Anthony, before I would give any thing more than one or two guineas to get out of such a concern, I would spend two or three hundred in law." LOWDEN then striking his hand upon the horse's neck, said 1, 2, or 300 are of no use; and unless you say five hundred, you need go no further. I will be your greatest enemy; I will go and do the business myself to-day, and will take you with my own hand to-morrow." I said, "I thank you." Witness rode off, and I and Mr. BOUCH returned to Cockermouth, and communicated the whole business to Mr. STEEL.
Joseph BOUCH corroborated DAWSON's statement, so far as he himself was concerned. He met the prisoner at Keswick, and asked him if the woman was in the town; he said she was, and brought her. She said all that had been stated was the case, and that she would swear it. Witness asked her her name, but she would not tell it. She said if Anthony would agree, she had given John LOWDEN power, and they might meet. Witness saw LOWDEN give her 8s.
Wm. ROGERS, servant with —— BIRKETT, went with BOUCH on Thursday the 14th of November to find HARPER, and succeeded. BOUCH asked her if she did not tell LOWDEN that Anthony  *  *  *  *  *. She said she did not; that if he said so, he was a liar; she never told either him or any one else what she had seen.
John BOW was present when Mrs. GIBSON asked HARPER about what she had said on this subject. She replied, Nothing that could harm the old man; that a call of nature was the worst. She said she went to give LOWDEN a d—d good scolding. Witness knows the situation of the gate; there are many houses near; and the spot can be seen from all.
The Rev. E. STANLEY, a Magistrate, sworn. When he examined the female prisoner, he told her that if she had any thing to prefer against DAWSON, he would take her examination as readily as his. She said she had no intention of charging him with any thing; that she had nothing to say against DAWSON. She denied having seen such a crime committed as had been spoken of. Her concluding words were, "If I get out of this hobble, I will never be seen in the like dirty mean job again."
This was the case for the prosecution.
LOWDEN, in his defence, said that DAWSON offered him the £6 10s. at the public-house, if he would go with him to the woman as a friend, and get the business made up; and it was only in this character that he acted throughout.
HARPER, in her defence, re-asserted the charge she had made, notwithstanding her previous denial that she had any such charge to make. She also denied ever mentioning a word to BOUCH, about agreement.
The prisoners called the following witnesses, but they did little for them.
C. GRAHAM sworn. DAWSON came to witness's house after having been sent for two or three times. He said if John LOWDEN would be his friend, and go with him and see the woman he would acquit him of the £6 10s. which he owed him. All through the business, DAWSON wished to face the woman. DAWSON did say, "D——n the women folk, they have been my ruin;" and offered to pay for all the drink that had been had in that night.
John POSTLETHWAITE examined. HARPER told him that what she had seen was not fit for any woman to tell; but if they went on, perhaps, they might catch him in the same predicament. She did not say what man, or what she saw.
C. LOWDEN was with the last witness when they met HARPER at the other end of the field. She said she had had such work with an old d—l as never was; that if we went on, we might catch him in the same action.
The Jury found both the prisoners Guilty.
LOWDEN was sentenced to two years' imprisonment in Carlisle gaol, and after that period to give surety, himself in £100, and two other persons in £50 each, for good behaviour for three years.—HARPER to be imprisoned one year, and to give similar security.
The prisoners were without counsel, not being able to get an attorney to undertake their defence.
Wm. NICHOL, of Causeway House, was indicted by a poor Irish Lad for assaulting and threatening to hang him in chains. Mr. NICHOL preferred a cross Bill, but the Grand Jury found the Irish Lad's, and N. compromised with him, by giving him £5, and pleaded guilty.
Reproduced with kind permission of British Newspaper Archives